Child of God, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, quilter, basket lover, amateur photographer, flower and vegetable gardener …….. some a little of who I am, some a lot of who I am, and all a part of me. When I started quilting several years ago, it sparked a passion in my creative side that I never knew existed. I fell in love with it from the very start. I love everything about it, from choosing the fabrics and designing the quilt until the time I finish the last stitch of the binding and everything in between.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Saving Selvages



I have been saving fabric selvages and have started making some blocks….nothing fancy, just sewing one strip on at a time.  I cut 8 inch blocks from muslin for the foundation fabric and this is a quick, fun little project for when I only have 5 or 10 minutes to sit down at my machine.  I think I am going to do a rail fence pattern, like this ….


By the way, my "design wall" is the backside of a $4 plastic disposable tablecloth from Wal-Mart.  It works perfectly!   The largest rectangle size is hanging on a sewing room wall with 3 push pins and pieced blocks stay up like a charm.  I am just going to keep adding strips to blocks until it is big enough for a quilt.  I have not really decided on a size yet.  I cringe when I think of all the selvages I have tossed in the trash can over the years.  I could have probably made at least a queen size quilt by now.   

Hugs from the Beautiful Bluegrass!

1 comment:

  1. I only have a few, but if you'd like my selvedges, I can send them your way! I don't use them myself--just save them until I find someone who wants them. I like what you are creating with them.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think!