Child of God, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, quilter, basket lover, amateur photographer, flower and vegetable gardener …….. some a little of who I am, some a lot of who I am, and all a part of me. When I started quilting several years ago, it sparked a passion in my creative side that I never knew existed. I fell in love with it from the very start. I love everything about it, from choosing the fabrics and designing the quilt until the time I finish the last stitch of the binding and everything in between.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Memory quilts

I have made a couple of tee shirt quilts lately for friends/customers that had some very special touches .... I think I already showed a picture of this one not long ago.  It belongs to a very sweet young lady named Jade.

 Her mom gave me enough tee shirts for not only the 30-tee king size quilt above, but 9 more for this lap size....
and a very special tee-shirt that she had slept in as a child until she outgrew it.   It was very thin in places and even had a couple of little runs in it.  I was afraid to put in in the quilt, thinking it needed a little extra TLC, so I turned it into a pillow for her.  I did a FMQ meandering stitch to give it a little extra stability.  Her mom has sooo many memories snuggling with her baby girl in this tee shirt.  

This one belongs to a young man who was in Jade's graduating class and he has gone on to play college football....

 His mom asked if I could include a couple of very special pieces for her.  One was a baby quilt that had been hers (51-year-old quilt) and then Tyler's when he was a baby.  This quilt is very worn, very loved, and very special.  I carefully cut it apart and made a block for Tyler's quilt, again FMQ stippling ....
She also asked that I add his crib sheet if possible and I turned it into a block with his name, weight, etc.
I am making his mom two more toss pillows from the remainder of the blue and white baby quilt and another from the remainder of the crib sheet.  I am in the process of finishing up two more tee quilts for another very special friend .... pictures and story to follow next week.

2 comments:

  1. You do a beautiful job on these memory quilts, Rhonda. The way you incorporate those extra special pieces is a very nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! They are just beautiful!!! So much care - you are one special friend to all around you!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think!