Child of God, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, quilter, basket lover, amateur photographer, flower and vegetable gardener …….. some a little of who I am, some a lot of who I am, and all a part of me. When I started quilting several years ago, it sparked a passion in my creative side that I never knew existed. I fell in love with it from the very start. I love everything about it, from choosing the fabrics and designing the quilt until the time I finish the last stitch of the binding and everything in between.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Quilting thread suggestions?

To all my quilting buddies, do you have a preference as to what brand, type, or weight of thread you use for machine quilting?  I use 100% cotton Gutterman for piecing and recently bought some Signature cotton for quilting but I am not really happy with it.  It is 40 weight.  The price is definitely right but the quality seems to be lacking.  Has anyone tried King Tut?  I have always used all cotton because that seems to make sense to me since the fabric and batting are 100% cotton, but a lot of people use a poly blend and are happy with it. 

Rhonda

2 comments:

  1. Hi dear Rhonda!! So glad to see your post!! Right now, in my beginingness (is that a word?? lol) I like Connecting Threads threads for my machine work, both piecing and quilting. They are so very affordable and come in tons of colors. Very, seldom do they break. For hand quilting I prefer Americana found a JoAnns. I like to applique with hand quilting thread, too, but am using CT thread some too, just because of the color choice.

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda, I was going back through my blog roll cleaning out some of the blogs that are no longer active, when I saw this post to your blog. I have no idea how I missed it. Blogger does funny things sometimes.
    I prefer Aurifil for machine quilting. The spools are more expensive, but there is more on them than a standard spool, because it is a finer thread, yet very strong. I never have breakage problems. The thread isn't thick, so it isn't as cumbersome looking on a quilt as some threads are, and it is not as linty as some I've tried. Locally I can't get as good a color selection in Aurifil as I would like, and I don't like trying to choose colors online, so I have used Mettler when I can't match a color in Aurifil. There is a better color selection available locally in Mettler, but it is much lintier than Aurifil. I prefer cotton threads, too. I have used a few polys and haven't really liked the way they handled. By now you may have found something that works well for you. I'd be interested to know what you have settled on.
    And I am interested to know how you are getting along!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think!