Child of God, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, quilter, basket lover, amateur photographer, flower and vegetable gardener …….. some a little of who I am, some a lot of who I am, and all a part of me. When I started quilting several years ago, it sparked a passion in my creative side that I never knew existed. I fell in love with it from the very start. I love everything about it, from choosing the fabrics and designing the quilt until the time I finish the last stitch of the binding and everything in between.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Framed memory quilt block

My sister-in-law lost her only brother in an accident at his job about a year and a half ago.  He was the only male sibling and his loss has been greatly felt by his family and all who knew him.  He loved the farm life, especially riding horses and tractors.  I wanted to do something for my sister-in-law to perhaps bring her some comfort and decided to make her a framed quilt block.  I talked with his wife and told her what I wanted to do and asked if she had any extra clothes of his that she might be able to part with.  She brought me a pair of his jeans and a tee shirt.  Since he loved the farm life, I thought about Hole in the Barn Door block but after some thought decided on a simple star, I think it is sawtooth star.  Since denim is really heavy and tees are really light, I worried about how this would go together, but it truly went together as well as any I have ever sewn.  I did use a fusible stabilizer on the back of the tee to keep it from stretching.  I gave my sister-in-law the block today and she really loves it and was very moved.

On a brighter note, my husband hung two bird feeders outside my office window.  I have kept my camera ready on my desk and managed to catch a few shots.  The quality is not the best because I took the pictures through the glass and screen of my window and had to be really sneaky and slow so the birds would not fly off.

 He put a wooden tomato cage between the two feeders to give the birds something to perch on and they have loved it. 

I hope y'all have a day full of blessings!  Hug your family and tell them you love them.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful idea to preserve something for your SIL of her brother's. Very thoughtful, and it looks really nice.
    Love the shots of the birds. I never see cardinals around here, and they are so striking!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think!